Mt.Kenya, the highest peak in Kenya and the second-highest peak in Africa offer a thrilling and picturesque trekking experience. The mountain’s trails wind through dense forests, across valleys and streams, and up steep rocky slopes, offering stunning views of the surrounding landscape along the way. Hikers can expect to encounter a diverse range of flora and fauna, including exotic birds, primates, and towering bamboo forests. As the ascent continues, the terrain becomes more challenging, with rugged cliffs and snow-capped peaks providing a breathtaking climax to the journey. Whether you are a seasoned trekker or a first-time hiker, the Mt. Kenya trails offer a truly unforgettable adventure.
On the 7th Apr 2023, 18 hikers from different parts of the world assembled at Mt, Kenya Chogoria Banda gate ready for a 4-day trek to Kenya’s Highest peak via the Chogoria -Sirimon route. We were joined by 30 support staff which included Porters, Chefs, and guides. The goal was to conquer ourselves.
For a group, having centralized communication is essential for ensuring the safety and success of the entire group. When all members of the group are communicating with each other from a central point, everyone can stay informed about the status of the hike and any potential hazards or changes in the itinerary. On this trip, the undersigned was the team leader responsible for all the decisions touching on the wellness and the affairs of the entire group.
During the 4 days trek as illustrated in the figure.1.0, we learned valuable life and business lessons that I believe will go a long way in our roles as community and Business leaders. Below are 10 valuable lessons learned during Mt. Kenya 4 days Trek.
Valuable Lesson Learned during the 4 Days Mt. Kenya Trek (7th Apr – 10th Apr 2023).
- The power of perseverance: Summiting Mount Kenya requires perseverance and determination. The climb is challenging, but if you keep pushing yourself and don’t give up, you will achieve your goals.
- The importance of teamwork: Climbing Mount Kenya is a team effort. You need to work together, support each other, and communicate effectively to reach the summit. This teaches the importance of teamwork and how working together can help you achieve great things. Some mountains need a good boot to conquer while others need a great and supportive team.
- The benefits of planning: Summiting Mount Kenya requires careful planning and preparation. If you don’t think planning is important, wait until you forget to pack your headlamp or tissue.
- The value of hard work: Climbing Mount Kenya is physically and mentally challenging. It requires hard work, dedication, and discipline to reach the summit.
- The rewards of stepping out of your comfort zone: Climbing Mount Kenya is a difficult and challenging experience, but it also offers incredible rewards. Stepping out of your comfort zone and taking on new challenges can help you grow and achieve things you never thought possible. The most beautiful and scenic views come after the hardest climb.
- The importance of focus: Summiting Mount Kenya requires focus and concentration. You need to stay focused on the task at hand and not let distractions or obstacles derail you.
- The beauty of nature: Climbing Mount Kenya allows you to experience the natural beauty of the mountain and its surroundings. The beauty is on the trails and not on the summit. Take your time to admire the beautiful scenery.
- The power of self-belief: Summiting Mount Kenya requires a strong belief in yourself and your abilities. You need to have confidence in yourself and trust that you can reach the summit.
- Positivity is powerful: A positive attitude can be infectious. When leading a team, it is important to maintain a positive attitude, even when facing challenges or setbacks. This will help to keep morale high and motivate your team to keep pushing forward.
- The value of determination: Climbing Mount Kenya requires determination and persistence. You need to keep pushing yourself and not give up when faced with challenges or setbacks. This teaches the value of determination and how it can help you overcome obstacles and achieve success.
“Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.”
By Antony Kago
Team Leader, Cushy Adventures